Immigrant & Refugee Pathways
Newcomers take many unique pathways to active citizenship in Canada. Their individual skills, knowledge, motivations, and experiences shape their civic engagement.
Here are three examples of these pathways in the Journey Maps of Farid, Mahalia, and Yasmine. These characters are fictional but their stories capture the complex challenges and opportunities newcomers face on their path to active citizenship.
What do you think?
As you read Farid, Mahalia, and Yasmine’s journeys, we encourage you to reflect on these questions:
- What assets did Farid, Mahalia, and Yasmine bring to Canada?
- What opportunities and challenges do they face on their journeys?
- If you are an immigrant or refugee, do you see your story reflected here? What is different about your experience?
- If you work with immigrants and refugees, do these stories reflect the experiences of the people you work with? What other stories might you tell about people you work with?
- How can organizations, communities, and governments better support immigrants and refugees in their journey to active citizenship?
- What do you think is next for each of them?